And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory. John 1:14
Jesus is The Word. If you were to approach the Bible like we approach Jesus think how alive it would become to you. “In Him (The Word) was life” John 1:4. The words of the pages of this book can be alive to us. It has the power to change your life as Jesus did to first save you. Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart and watch your life transform and the world around you shift.
- Make a Plan: Choose a bible translation you like, a regular time & place to read your bible and pick a bible reading schedule (see YouVersion for ideas) – plans build habits that build your life.
- Vary your Read: Read large sections – get the overview, culture, stories, God’s master plan. Read small sections – allow yourself to meditate and get stopped by God speaking to you. Read quietly, read aloud at times.
- Get support – listen to Sunday’s preaching podcasts, a Connect group, college, a concordance …
- Don’t filter the Bible through your world view lens, let it all speak as plainly as it’s written. Make it the final authority on every matter in your life.
- Read prayerfully – ask and expect the Holy Spirit to speak you, expect to see, hear and understand something new each day.
- Meditate – reflect – what is this saying to me, my situation, to life & the bigger picture? Chew it over. What other scriptures do I know on this matter? Memorise verses. Move on if you don’t understand something – that’s ok!
Reading the Bible without meditating on it is like trying to eat without swallowing. –Anonymous
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Joshua 1:8
7. Implement – Always put into action what you see. Speak the Word into your world. The Word confessed has the power to create and change your situation.
Internalise what you read – let it change you. Respond to it.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly Colossians 3:16
“This is not the book you read, but the book that reads you!”